The Islandora Foundation is a federally incorporated, community-driven soliciting non-profit operating under Corporation Number 848647-6.
The foundation serves several key roles in the Islandora Community:
- Oversees the maintenance of the primary codebase;
- Creates and maintain a "snippet repository" of scripts, themes and other contributed resources not part of the primary codebase;
- Maintains the official documentation;
- Maintains the community lists, Twitter and other social media accounts;
- Creates and provides access to educational material, including webcasts and training videos;
- Coordinates the annual Islandora Camps and related training events;
- Presents at conferences and workshops;
- Encourages participation in the community at a variety of levels.
This is a graphical representation of the Foundation's role within the larger Islandora community:
The following are the strategic goals for the Islandora Foundation for 2019 - 2020, as affirmed by our members at the 2019 AGM on August 22nd, 2019.
Community Growth and Sustainability
- Increase adoption of Islandora and increase community engagement
- Grow Islandora Foundation membership
- Expand strategic partnerships
- Create a communication plan to promote the use of Islandora in higher education, organizations, and diverse galleries, libraries, archives, museums and beyond. This communication plan will
- Identify stakeholders and improve mechanisms for stakeholder feedback
- Be a living document, open to new information and ongoing evolution of practice
- Consider and strategize what information and channels are required to meet the Foundation’s goals for communication
- Be visible to the Islandora community (published on the website)
- Increase transparency in the Foundation
- Incorporate plans for keeping stakeholders updated on the Foundation’s plans (for example, for upcoming versions of Drupal & Fedora)
- Include an outreach component to encourage growth in the user community
- Gather feedback from the Islandora community to inform changes to policies, roadmaps, and workflows.
Technology Roadmap & Development
- Coordinate ongoing updates to Islandora in step with its component parts (such as Drupal and Fedora) and foster activities around migration tools to support community members.
- Balance support for Islandora 7x with Islandora 8 development.
- Maintain and revise a roadmap for the future of the Islandora platform, including tools and strategies for migration.
Finance & Governance
- Work with members and allied organizations to identify and pursue grant opportunities and partnerships
- Review our governance and structure against peer organizations